Website Hosting, Domain Name, Email, Registration > Knowledgebase > Website Hosting > How do I set up a secure POP email account in Outlook?
How do I set up a secure POP email account in Outlook?
- Open Outlook. If the Startup Wizard opens, select Next. Otherwise, select the >File tab on the Outlook toolbar. Then select Add Account.
- Select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
- From the Add Account page, under Choose Service, select POP or IMAP, and then click Next.
- On the Add Account window, do the following ( see image below ):
- Under User Information, do the following:
- In the Your Name box, type your name the way you want it to appear to other people.
- In the Email Address box, type your complete email address, such as email@example.com.
- For User Name, type your name and enter your password in the Password box. Make sure it is the same password you already use to access your email.
- Under Server Information, do the following:
- In the Account Type list, choose POP3. Click here if you want to use IMAP instead.
- In the Incoming mail server box, type mail.[your domain]. So if your email address was firstname.lastname@example.org, the incoming mail server would be mail.example.com.
- In the Outgoing mail server box, enter the same information as with the Incoming Server
- Under Logon Information, do the following:
- In the User Name box, enter your email address again.
- In the Password box, enter your password.
- Ensure that SPA Authentication is unchecked.
- If you want Outlook to remember your password each time you log in, check Remember password
- Under Test Account Settings, do the following:
- Check "Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked"
- Click More Settings. On the Outgoing tab, check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, then select Use same settings as my incoming server.
On the Advanced tab, do the following:
- Select SSL for Incoming server type of encrypted connection.
- The incoming server port number should be 995
- Select TLS for the Outgoing server type of encrypted connection.
- The outgoing server port number should be 587
Click Next and then Outlook should try to send and receive a test email to confirm that the account is functioning.
An Internet Security Warning alert will appear, when an SSL certificate is not found matching your domain name.
Click "YES" (continue using this server) to avoid this warning.
If you do not accept this Security Warning, you will not be able to send/receive your email.
- Alternatively, to avoid this security warning on start up of Outlook, you can substitute our server name for your Incoming and Outgoing server names. Please refer to your "Website Hosting Account Information" email for your correct server name.
- If everything worked properly, you will see status "Completed". Otherwise, you can inspect the error message, and review your settings as described above.
Add to Favourites Print this Article
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution